Saturday, March 18, 2023

Week 6 #52Ancestors

 Week 6: Social Media Have you found an ancestor via social media? How about the social column of an old newspaper? (Those were basically the Facebook of the day!) How about imagining what an ancestor would say on social media? 


This week I feature my great-grandmother Susie Allen. Susie was from Birmingham, Alabama (as were many other Susie Allens). I was having a hard time narrowing the family down. Luck would have it that I inherited some old family photos, including one of Susie taken when she was in her late teens, but also in the pile was a photo labeled Trussie Stanfield which was obviously taken at the same sitting – background was the same and the 2 girls were in identical dresses. I wound up posting to the local message board for Birmingham with the random question of “Does anyone know about a Trussie Stanfield” Sure enough the community came through and someone replied that her maiden name was in fact Allen. Now I was able to search for an Allen household containing daughters Susie and Trussie.





No comments:

Post a Comment