Saturday, March 18, 2023

Week 10 #52Ancestors

 Week 10 The theme for Week 10 is "Translation." Would any of your ancestors have needed someone to translate for them? Have you had to work with records in a language other than your own? No matter the language, it's a good time to write! 

Meet the Pierre Mathieu Family. The Mathieu’s came to Connecticut from Quebec in 1860. They came to the small town of Sprague CT, where Zephyr was born. That’s what I knew, Zephyr was the father of Clarence and Pierre was Zephyr’s father. I tried every spelling iteration I could think of in the search field but nothing would come up correct for a census in 1880. They had to be there! So I went old school page by page through the 1880 census for Sprague CT. What I found challenged how I hear my own surname now. Pierre and Azilda Mathieu were listed as Peter and Elizabeth Mycue. I was able to confirm this using the family shape The ages were correct and the older siblings of Zephyr who had been born were listed with similarly misspelled names. To this day when watching any European sports event I listen to how the announcer says Mathieu, I still have never heard it sound like how I would pronounce Mycue. (It’s pronounced Matthew btw.)



No comments:

Post a Comment