Friday, February 23, 2018

My Journey to Black Belt

Part of our testing for black belt is to write an essay.  I am posting mine here for the world to see.

My Journey to Black Belt  
By Randi Mathieu 

Five years ago I asked my then 5 year old son what he wanted for his birthday.  His good buddy, that is 4 years older than he is, was taking karate and so in order to be more like him, my son replied that he wanted to take karate. I made an appointment and we all went in to the Dojang to see what it was like. While there I saw many different people of varying ages – not just kids training and thought it might be fun to try.  As I discussed it with my husband we decided that all 3 of us would give it a try. In the back of my mind I thought hey we will give it a couple months and see how it goes.   
See here’s the thing about me – I’m a quitter. When I would ask to take dance lessons or music lessons as a child I would only last a few months before I was bored with it.  By middle school I decided to try band – that lasted until sophomore year.  Goals I dreamt about – becoming the first female NFL player, becoming the first female fighter pilot, even becoming a Japanese interpreter – never came to fruition because I didn’t really try.  My life has been easy and has been handed to me.  Even after Jim and I were married the quitting continued – swing dance lessons, aikido, and many jobs lie in my wake.  So naturally that February five years ago I thought we had no chance of making to even green belt. 
Something in me changed along the way in this 5 year journey.  There were times that I thought – maybe this is as far as we go.  But some how I pushed through.  Each test I said “ok Randi one more level” Our karate compatriots became a second family to us and help encourage me even though they never knew they did.  It was the thought of disappointing my new found karate-sisters that kept me coming back for more.  It was the regret at never letting myself get any good at anything before I quit and not wanting my son to have the same regrets.  It was also the challenge to myself that I could make something happen for me! 
Now here I am a red-4 and just paid the registration fee for test.  I can’t believe I am here and doing this.  I may not be the first female blackbelt but I am the first Randi Mathieu to become a blackbelt.  I’ve worked hard and know that I have pushed myself harder than I ever have.  I want this – not just to get a blackbelt but to be a blackbelt. I need to know that “I Can and I Will” is not just a personal mantra but a way of life.  I am excited for the mental change I know will happen when I tie that midnight blue on and the confidence that I can set goals and I will achieve them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment