Wednesday, January 24, 2018

#52Ancestors – Week 3                                             Randi Mathieu

Longevity:  noun:  a long individual life; great duration of individual life
I’d like to introduce you all to Manuel Levy.  Manuel was my husband’s Great Great Great Grandfather. Manuel was a sailor from Portugal who immigrated to Connecticut about 1837.   According to newspaper records Manuel lived to be 104 years old! 
1

The information gleaned from the US census does not agree with this date and a search is underway for the original birth record. 

Our lineage comes through the Nicholas King line. 

I was lucky to find an interview with a Portuguese fisherman from Cape Cod and believe this is what Manuel would have said, if he had the chance.
“Anybody’ll tell you they ain’t no men can fish better than the Portuguese.  We can always get jobs on the boats.  I wouldn’t want to work on land all the time.  Lots of men do when they get older, but not me.  I wouldn’t never be happy unless I had a boat under me.”2  

This was a quote from Manuel Captiva a Portuguese immigrant in 1939.  While he is a much more recent immigrant than our Manuel, I believe the sentiment is there.  Mary Levy his daughter married Nicholas Bettencourt King also a fisherman.  Nicholas and Mary’s son Robert lived until the nice old age of 94.  There must be something to be said for fresh sea air!

Here’s a picture of lv-12 which was posted to Eel Grass Shoal and would have likely been the ship Manuel served on.
3


11     "Manuel Levy Dead at 104." New York Times 05/29/1897  Published: Page 1.  Newsapapers.com. Web.  01/24/2018
22     Banks, Ann. First-person America. Open Road Distribution, 2015. Amazon.com. Web. 01/24/2018

33     National Archives

No comments:

Post a Comment